Thursday, July 16, 2009

A journey to the Alvord Desert July 9th-13th 2009 (part I)

This is the first of a five part series on a trip I took with the Pacific Northwest Adventure Group.

Our goal was to meet Friday, July 10th at Hines Park in Hines, Oregon. For me, that meant getting off work early and heading east. For this trip, I elected to drive to Pendleton and load my gear into my Mom's Dodge Ram and we would ride together for the duration.

After leaving work, I stopped at my apartment to get my brother Keegan then headed east. Near Memaloose State Park, we spotted this military train headed downriver across from us on the Washington side. The engines are KCS run-through units.

Photobucket

After a bit of a delay, we got out of Pendleton. Our goal for the evening was to get within one hour of Burns so we would have less of a drive in the morning. Outside of Pilot Rock we had this great view of the setting sun.

Photobucket

And looking back along hwy 395

Photobucket


Our drive for the day

Coming up: Peter French round barn, Diamond Craters, Steens Mountain, Sand Gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment